Mini Tyke, like all other Lacrosse divisions, is based on birth year. For a listing of the registration divisions and their corresponding birth years please check out our registration page here
The Mini Tyke program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for Mini Tyke will be:
- 3-on-3 during the two 15 minute games
- Session times - 1 hour
- 15 minute warm-up / skills - 15 minute game - 15 minute skills session - 15 minute game
- Running time
- Players on floor for 3 minute intervals during the 2 - 15 minute games
- Play the width of the floor
- Contact Rule is "equal pressure"
- No referees - coaches manage the floor
- No penalties - stop when necessary to explain infractions
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
- For the 2019 Season, Mini Tyke Evaluations will be held April 6 - April 20. Please click here for an Evaluation schedule.
- They will have 2 floor times per week - Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings
- The season runs until mid-June.
- League play begins the week of April 29, 2019.
- Mini Tykes require full gear. Visual guidelines of gear expectations are available here.
Please consult ALA Regulation 15.15 for full Minityke rules.
The purpose of the Mini Tyke league is to introduce, emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of lacrosse. The focus of practices as well as games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill development, and overall enjoyment of the game.
At the end of the season, a special Mini Tyke Festival is held where all teams come together to play one another in a fun and festive atmosphere.
Throughout the season, in order to encourage the development of this environment, there will be no standings for Mini Tyke. Please note that although standings are not kept, standard game results procedures must be followed (ie. sending in the game sheets).
Registration opens Jan 1, 2019. Registration information can be found here
For more information regarding Mini Tyke, please contact Ty Pilson.