6U (Mini Tyke)
6U (Mini Tyke), like all other Lacrosse divisions, is based on birth year. For a listing of the registration divisions and their corresponding birth years please check out our registration page here
For the 2020 Season 6U (Mini Tyke) birth years are 2014/2015
For the 2020 Season, Mini Tyke Evaluations will be held April 25 & 26. Please click here
for an Evaluation schedule.
The 6U (Mini Tyke) program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for 6U (Mini Tyke) will be:
- 3-on-3 during the two 15 minute games
- Session times - 1 hour
- 15 minute warm-up / skills - 15 minute game - 15 minute skills session - 15 minute game
- Running time
- Players on floor for 3 minute intervals during the 2 - 15 minute games
- Play the width of the floor
- Contact Rule is "equal pressure"
- No referees - coaches manage the floor
- No penalties - stop when necessary to explain infractions
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease
- They will have 2 floor times per week - Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings
- The season runs until mid-June.
- League play begins the week of April 29, 2019.
- 6U (Mini Tyke) require full gear. Visual guidelines of gear expectations are available here.
Please consult ALA Regulation 15.15 for full 6U (Mini Tyke) rules.
The purpose of the 6U (Mini Tyke) league is to introduce, emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of lacrosse. The focus of practices as well as games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill development, and overall enjoyment of the game.
At the end of the season, a special 6U (Mini Tyke) Festival is held where all teams come together to play one another in a fun and festive atmosphere.
Throughout the season, in order to encourage the development of this environment, there will be no standings for 6U (Mini Tyke). Please note that although standings are not kept, standard game results procedures must be followed (ie. sending in the game sheets).
Registration opens Jan 1, 2020. Registration information can be found here
For more information regarding 6U (Mini Tyke), please contact Neil Wilson.